“Everybody deserves to aim high & dream big”. Captain of India’s women cricket team and the biggest role model for all young girls- Mithali Raj graces the Janaury issue of The Peacock Magazine in our power shoulder dress! Read her exclusive interview –
1. IN A COUNTRY LIKE INDIA WHERE CRICKET IS CONSIDERED A RELIGION AND ALL THE EYES ARE ON THE MEN’S CRICKET TEAM, HOW DO YOU BREAK STEREOTYPES?
“I believe there is no rule as such which limits women from doing anything, our society breeds limitation on women. If a girl is keen on pursuing her interest , she should by all means aspire to achieve her goals. Dreams should not be corrupted by societal pressure. Everybody deserves to aim high and dream big.”
2. WHAT WAS THAT ONE DEFINING MOMENT IN YOUR CAREER? HOW DID YOU GET YOUR FIRST BREAK? ALSO, WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE FUTURE OF WOMEN’S CRICKET IN INDIA ?
“The defining moment in my career would be 214 runs world record innings. It gave me a lot of confidence and the realisation that I belong at an international level.”
3. YOU HAVE BEEN TRENDING OVER ALL FASHION MAGAZINES, TELL US ABOUT YOUR FASHION CHOICES!
“I like to be comfortable in what I am wearing whether it’s a cocktail dress or an Indian outfit. I love dresses because I feel I am happy and best in them. But I enjoy trying new things.”
4. ALSO, WITH A LOT OF CRICKETERS GETTING INTO THEIR OWN CLOTHING LINE- DO YOU SEE THAT AS A POSSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF TOO?
“I am not sure if I will come up with my own clothing range. At the moment my plate is full! I have lot of cricket coming up next year.”
5. A BIOPIC ON YOU IS IN THE TALKS, WHO WOULD YOU WANT TO PORTRAY YOU?
“I am often asked these days who I think will play my role. I guess Priyanka Chopra but she has already done a biopic. So let me leave that choice to the experts from the production house.”
6. WHAT WOULD WE FIND MITHALI RAJ DOING IN HER LEISURE TIME?
“Reading , watching Netflix or maybe sketching or exploring new places!”
7. LASTLY, WHAT IS THAT ONE ADVICE YOU WOULD LIKE TO GIVE TO YOUR 16 YEAR OLD SELF?
“The one advise would be to enjoy being where you are. Strip the burden of expectations from the world! Just go out there and soak in the excitement of wearing the Indian jersey and getting an opportunity to represent India! I made my debut as a 16year old and at that time Playing cricket was like a duty- there was no enjoyment.”